Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tool or Machine

Sherry Turkle says that,
"The computer is Janus-like - it has two faces. Marx spoke of a
distinction between tools and machines. Tools are extensions of
their users; machines impose their own rhythm, their rules on the
people who work with them, to the point where it is no longer clear
who or what is being used (Second Self 170)" (Selber 40).
In working on my visual autobiography, I felt that the computer was more a tool than a machine, yet at times I felt at its mercy in formatting my pages. Not at it's mercy like the I Love Lucy scene where the conveyor belt of candy speeds up faster and faster until Lucy and Ethel are stuffing candy down their tops, but like I was pushing against an enforced boundary that wouldn't let me step outside to make one page more unique than the others. While I used sound, finally, to distinguish my two more intense experiences, I felt that I could have used more distinguishing features. I was frustrated with myself for not being more in control of the page, but I was still satisfied with what I was able to accomplish as a novice explorer.

No comments:

Post a Comment