Monday, March 22, 2010

Cyborgs

I just listened to the podcast about "cyborgs" and was fascinated with the ways we alter ourselves. Even just wearing eyeglasses is an alteration or augmentation. With the advent of cell phones, I'd say that most people, then, are part cyborg, as we willingly communicate through space without our bodies being present. We form images in our minds of who we're talking to, but we never actually see the person at the other end of the phone.

I was also interested in the discussion of how easily we give up or change our identities when the computer tells us to. The computer is supposed to be our tool, yet when it denies our passcode, we immediately pick a new one, many times the one that it gives us. I did that with my internet passcode, and have done that for other programs. I guess I feel that I have no choice, but to do what the computer tells me, without self-awareness, I give up my ownership of my identity.

It's amazing how subtly the computer works and what easy access we give it to our lives. I feel that we are not in charge, in most cases, when dealing with the computer, and I wonder what the results of this lack of control will be in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment