Friday, January 29, 2010

Twitter can be fun

Learning to Twitter was something I never thought I'd do, but surrounded by other 'Twitterers," I really enjoyed the experience. I also felt more connected to the world around me, watching the youtube videos and visiting the hyperlinked sites. Curiousity was the key that led me from site to site, not knowing what I'd find. It was lovely just to be led again, like a school kid, to new and surprising pieces of art, cartoons, political sites, etc.

Selfe speaks of the potential for a sense of community through technology, citing Negroponte's view of the future generation as "emerging from the digital landscape free of many of the old prejudices. These kids are released from the limitation of geographic promximity as the sole basis of friendship, collaboration, play, and the neighborhood" (29, 30). In other words, technology, in concealing superficial tags of wealth, ethnicity, culture, age and gender, allows individuals to speak more freely, listen to viewpoints with less judgement and make friends with people from outside the neighborhood of their streets, cities, countries, races, cultures, and comfort zones. A dose of anonymity can be a unifying experience.

I just found a website that talks about teaching poetry in the classroom in new and engaging ways. It offers a couple of examples for pulling students in to writing projects. The website is: http://www.cpits.org/. Go to the poet/teachers link and click on sample lesson plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment