Friday, January 15, 2010

Is the future looking brighter?

Lester Faigley's essay, "Literacy After the Revolution," ruminates on the "revolution of the rich" (32), bemoaning the lack of computers and computer training for all, but I've found that in order to participate at CSUSB, one must have access to a computer and the internet. Blackboard, e-mails, and documents listed on external links seem to be the classroom protocol, and I wonder if Faigley would find the requirements for computer access a step forward, or if he would see them as a deterrent to those who have had no or little previous access to computers.
In other words, are CSUSB's computer literacy requirements pulling in students who are already computer savvy or are they challenging new students to learn skills that may have been denied them in the past. If the latter is true, then the prognosis for the future of those denied access to computers for socio-economic reasons may not be as dire as once thought. Now, the concern would turn to the training offered at the college level, and the time that the professor is given to work with those in need of extra help.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane,

    For the record, I am a student who is "challenged" when it comes to the use of computers, and even though I'm hoping for the best, I am still a little concerned over how I will perform with my limited knowledge. For instance, I don't even know if this message will get through to you or not. If it does, well, I'll be encouraged. I know there's little hope for me to become "computer savvy" in one quarter, but I believe the introduction will eventually open new doors for me. Or... should I say windows?

    ReplyDelete